River cruising aboard AmaWaterways affords travelers the opportunity to stroll through quaint towns, take a bicycle ride through the countryside and eat, drink and shop like a local in the heart of Europe's most famous cities.
The historic past and the progressive future meet with this beautiful river cruise aboard AmaWaterways. Lisa Summer gives us her insight into the Enchanting Rhine and the magnificent cities she had the privilege to visit.
What did you enjoy most about the river cruise experience?
I enjoyed the ease of walking off the ship and being right in the heart of the culture and the people. The length in each town and being able to go, see and enjoy. The organization of the tours was fantastic. I really felt the choices were fantastic! We could choose local culture, basic tour or something with more exercise such as a bike ride or a hike. The whole week was easy and I felt so engaged with the region and the culture, which I loved.
What ports/cities did you visit on this itinerary.
- Netherlands, Germany, France and Switzerland
- Wijk bij Duurstede
- Rhine Gorge
What shore excursions did you go on? Which ones would you recommend?
Amsterdam The day we embarked we walked around Amsterdam, so much to see right off the ship Day two we did the Amsterdam Canal Cruise and City Tour which we ended in Wijk bij Duurstede and boarded the ship here
Cologne We did the Bike Tour, which was 11 miles. Great tour!
Koblenz – Rhine Gorge – Rudesheim Enjoyed the Rhine Castles, seeing about 30! The Rudesheim wine tasting was really great and then the evening tour of the square and the Rudesheimer Coffee was a treat. A full wonderful day!
Mannheim Really enjoyed the Heidelberg Excursion
Strasbourg The Strasbourg City tour is fantastic, cultural and so much fun!
Breisach We chose the smaller town, Freiberg. Which was quaint and so much fun to walk around and see the history and shop. Loved this area too!
Basel Disembarked and headed to the airport.
What are your best pieces of advice for someone going on a similar trip?
- AmaWaterways recommends that you bring on wine from the regions, they are great for you to have in your room. They provide glasses and a bottle opener.
- AmaWaterways can handle every type of food allergy or intolerance, except Kosher.
- Definitely worth packing light and doing laundry service by Ama. The pricing is inexpensive, jeans are $2Euro, socks are $1.20Euro. I’ve attached the pricing sheet.
- Chef’s Table (Specialty Restaurant) only seats 28 and fills up quickly. Make reservations the first day on board to ensure you can enjoy. I’ve attached the menu. It’s the same every night of the cruise.
- Gratuities are expected and encouraged. A letter is put in the rooms and discussion is done with all guest. Envelops are put in the rooms for cash, or asked you speak with Guest Services to arrange for your credit card. I’ve attached the letter.
- Suggest to take a coffee craft with lid as coffee or hot tea is a frequent item and the cups given are quite small. A insulated cup with lid is a great item to have on board.
- The day of disembarkation, if your flight is not until later, you can store you luggage on the ship, take a tour and then go back to the ship to claim your luggage before going to the airport. This is a great tip!
- While certain wine selections are given for dinner, you can request a favorite wine and if the ship has it they will provide as a complimentary wine with your lunch or dinner.
- If you forgot a bathroom item, you can ask Gust Services as they carry many miscellaneous items on the ship.
- Postcards are provided and mailed for free during the cruise.
- Full maps are provided for each city (port), you just have to ask Guest Services.
What did you like most about the cruise line?
How small and friendly the staff was. Also, how organized the day is, it flows with such easy and makes the trip truly enjoyable!
What are 3 things one can expect from this cruise line?
- Educational impact with the region and the sites of interest
- Great tour options, great variety
Did you do any shopping or specialty dining on board the ship? What were your favorites?
The Chefs Table (Specialty restaurant) is a must. A wonderful dinner with wine pairing and each course was delicious!
Contact Lisa about this vacation
- (520) 276-4085
- [email protected]