Who said it’s not about the destination, it’s about the journey? We think it can be both! Adam Lazarus and his family recently took a Royal Caribbean cruise to the Southern Caribbean where they not only got to explore the beautiful waters of Barbados, experience the coral reefs of Antigua and the rainforests of St Lucia, but aboard Royal Caribbean they enjoyed an action-packed cruise to get there. Between the shows, the food and the variety of activities only offered with Royal Caribbean, Adam says the entire experience was a “magical family adventure together.”
What did you enjoy most about the cruise experience?
Being with just my family on our boys’ first ever cruise was very special! My sons (ages 12 and 10) loved every aspect of the cruise – the activities, the shows, the food and free ice cream, and all the wonderful ports – we truly had a magical family adventure together.
Tell us about the ports/cities you visited with this itinerary.
We visited a variety of Southern Caribbean ports and enjoyed the beaches, rainforests, food, people and culture in each one. We mostly parked ourselves at one of the better beaches and used that as our home base to explore or enjoy the water, the beautiful vistas and the delicious food and drinks.
What shore excursions did you go on? Which ones would you recommend?
We did a few memorable excursions:
- Sea kayaking through the mangrove forests and snorkeling on a remote island in Antigua w/ Antigua Paddles (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!)
- Zip-lining through the rainforests of St. Lucia w/ Rainforest Adventures (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!)
- Renting spot at a beach club in St. Kitts
- Swimming/snorkeling in Barbados
Did you do any pre/post activities?
We stayed 2 additional nights pre-cruise in San Juan, Puerto Rico and stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel.
What are your top 3 pieces of advice for someone going on a similar trip?
- If available, definitely upgrade to the Concierge/Suite level (or higher) on Royal Caribbean. Beyond a “better stateroom” the perks are fantastic and include:
- Use of Concierge Lounge Deck 10
- Continental breakfast served daily
- Exclusive breakfast area in Chops Grille
- Private seating area for lunches
- Hors D’Ouvres and cocktails served in the lounge daily
- Complimentary room service 24 hours
- Reserved VIP seating for shows
- VIP poolside seating area only for suite level guests
- Free galley tour
- Expedited post-cruise port departure (i.e. customs line)
- If possible, try and reserve a private car & driver or a personalized cab in Caribbean ports versus being in a large group with others; it’s not that much more expensive and it’s a much better experience, can customize the journey and you get a private tour
- Be prepared to spend money on board! While many things are indeed included on this cruise line and it’s a wonderful family vacation, there is a lot of upselling, “nickel-and-diming” and items NOT included that add up.
What did you like most about the cruise line?
Very energetic and exciting! Tons of activities! Perfect for kids, families and large groups. It’s a very large ship that is designed in a way that doesn’t feel overcrowded. Kids had tons of options and had more things to do than we had time to do them.
What are 3 things one can expect from this cruise line?
- Family time
Did you do any shopping or specialty dining on board the ship? What were your favorites?
Other than bingo and a few items at the general store or bazaar shops, no.
*The above mentioned cruise supplier may have gifted or discounted this cruise as an educational opportunity in order for our travel professional to critique for your review.