Susan Entringer has traveled all around the world. So, you know that if she chooses to return to a place she has already visited, it must be worth the second go-around. A place as beautiful as South Africa, that offers winelands to wildlife and everything in between, it’s easy to understand why.
What were your favorite destinations? Why?
I enjoyed Lion Sands, Tinga Lodge within Kruger National Park and Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge – Safari Experience and Animals (including elephants, rhinos, giraffes, zebras, wart hogs, lions, leopards, hippos, cape buffalo, antelopes, African Rock Phthon, wildebeest and various exotic birds).
I also enjoyed Victoria Falls. The amazing beauty and history of Stanley Livingston’s discovery / explorations of Africa over 100 years ago. We experienced a full moon while there, which was quite a site while on a sunset cruise in the Zambezi River!
Did you go on any special side-trips?
We were fortunate enough to experience several!
- Robben Island (off Capetown) where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 27 years
- Private wine pairings dinner at Groot Constantia Vineyards (Capetown)
- Cape Point where the Indian and the Atlantic Oceans meet
- Boulders beach home of the African Cape penguins
- Apartheid Museum in Johannesburg
- The entire safari adventures
What is your advice to someone going on a similar trip?
- Prepare to spend most days outside, regardless of weather. All dining at safari lodges is outside.
- Pack casual and safari style clothes-long pants, lightweight shirts (layers), sneakers-no dress up ever
- Be able to walk and be patient with multiple airports / security checks
- Bring ALL medications, including over the counter cold remedy, antacids, aspirin, etc as it is very difficult to buy these locally
Have you been to this destination before, or would you want to come back again?
Yes! I traveled to South Africa in May 2013 (Durban, Capetown, Kruger-Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge and Johannesburg). I enjoyed my first trip a great deal and could not wait to go again! Now that I’ve gone twice, I don’t feel the need to return again.
Do you have any upcoming trips that you are excited about?
I am hosting on Azamara Journey in September from London to Lisbon. Many of the ports are new for me. It’s a very interesting itinerary, including St Peter Port, Bordeaux, Bilbao and Oporto.