Beyond the tranquil beauty of Ethiopia, Lindsey discovered, first hand, its rich culture and history. As one of Africa’s oldest states, Ethiopia proved to be thick with archaeological finds as well. Having traveled to many places around the world, Lindsey believes Ethiopia to be one of the most interesting, rewarding trips she has ever taken.
What were your favorite destinations? Why?
- Lalibela is one of the most interesting places that I have been in the World. This UNESCO World Heritage site is in the Amhara Region and has 11 monolithic churches built in the 12th-century. The architecture and logistics of how it was constructed is beyond fascinating!
- Lake Babogaya is a crater lake south of the capitol city, Addis Ababa. This is a beautiful area to hike cinder cone mountains in the morning and bird watch in the afternoon by the lake. Ethiopia has over 850 species of birds. You will see birds that are incredibly unique to that part of the world!
- Mount Entoto is the original capitol city of Ethiopia. There is a small town on the top of the mountain where the original palace of Emperor Menelik is located. You also can’t beat the view of Addis Ababa below from this 10,499 ft. mountain.
What are your top three pieces of advice for someone going on a similar trip?
- Ethiopia is the birthplace of coffee. Take the time to sit and have a macchiato in the afternoon.
- Pack your sunscreen! The African sun is very strong and you cannot buy sunscreen in Ethiopia.
- Be sure to interact with the locals. Many of the restaurants have live music and dance performances during dinner.
Have you been to this destination before, or would you want to come back again? Why?
- I find any excuse I can to go back to Ethiopia. Ethiopia is rich in culture, the people are incredible, and there are countless sights to see.
Do you have any upcoming trips that you are excited about?
- Maui, Hawaii! My husband and I are staying at the Hyatt Regency in Maui this Spring!